May 19, 2016

The Friday 5: Popular Series I Want to Read

The saddest part about this week's top 5 list? I own the first book in every single one of these series already. I've heard such good things about each of these that over the last couple years I've picked up these titles and they've been in my TBR. But alas, I get distracted so easily in my reading. So without further ado, this weeks list is 5 Popular Series I Want to Read. Be sure to leave me you're top 5 in the comments below!


5. The Dread Empire by Glen Cook

I love Glen Cook's writing. The Black Company has been a fun series to read through and one of my all-time favorites. I'm on book 7 now, and though I've heard it's a superior series to The Dread Empire series, that's something I'd like to determine for myself. Cook is an excellent storyteller and I really need to move this one up in my TBR.













4. The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker

I've heard that Bakker utilizes a lot of philosophy and depth in his writing and with my own philosophy background I am usually driven towards these sorts of authors. There seems to be a sort of cult around Bakker fans and I want to see what all the hubbub is about.














3. A Land Fit for Heroes by Richard Morgan

In case you didn't know, I have a thing for Grimdark fantasy. You know, dark realistic fantasy that doesn't screw around with regular fantasy troupes and utilizes a sort of dark humor. This one has been on my radar for a while ever since I saw the third book in the trilogy The Dark Defiles on a bookshelf in Barnes and Noble. I was, admittedly, drawn to the cover and after reading the back flap, I decided I had to read this series.












2. The Gentlemen Bastards by Scott Lynch

Another one that's seems right up my alley is The Gentlemen Bastards series. I've heard excellent things about the development of the main character Locke and the way the author develops the story through his eyes. I've heard good things about Scott Lynch's writing and many people consider this series to be one of the greats all-time. Of course, that means I have to give it a shot to see what it's all about. I enjoy deviant characters.












1. The Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler

I absolutely love military fantasy. I discovered The Thousand Names the good old fashioned way, a shelf of Barnes and Noble. I originally had read the back and found it pretty interesting sounding but didn't make the purchase for whatever reason. Later on, over on r/fantasy, I saw a group of people absolutely raving about it and it's military fantasy elements. This one is pretty high on my TBR and I hope to get to it in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment